No Barbecue? To finish the ribs in the oven, discard liquid in roasting pan. Arrange ribs, meaty-side up, then generously baste with sauce. Continue baking, uncovered, in the centre of a 325F oven for 30 min. Brush with sauce every 10 min until ribs are glazed.
Memphis-style pork side ribsBy Chatelaine
1 h 40 min
A summer grill guide isn't complete without some saucy glazed ribs. These Memphis-style side ribs are spiced and saucy—perfect for a summer cookout, or in the oven.
- 2 kg pork side ribs
- 4 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- PREHEAT oven to 325F. Trim silverskin membrane and excess fat off ribs. Slice each rib rack in half.
- STIR paprika with salt and cayenne in a small bowl. Season with fresh pepper. Rub spice mixture on both sides of ribs. Arrange ribs, meaty-side up, in a shallow roasting pan. Add enough water so that it reaches 1/4 in. up side of pan. Cover tightly with foil. Bake in centre of oven until meat is tender, 70 to 90 min. Transfer ribs to platter, discard liquid.
- STIR sauce ingredients in a saucepan and set over medium. Gently boil 8 to 10 min.
- PREHEAT barbecue to medium-low. Brush ribs with sauce. Oil grill, then barbecue ribs, with lid open, turning and basting with sauce, until ribs are glazed and heated through, 8 to 10 min. Remove to a cutting board. Slice into 1-rib portions and serve.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 67 g,
- 35 g,
- 60 g,
- 2 g,
- 1846 mg.
Laurence Feraud Plan Pegau, France, $15
Rhône reds are always a great match for all kinds of ribs, their dark brambly fruit and spicy woodsmoke aromatics complementing the savoury meaty flavours wonderfully. Coming from one of Châteauneuf-du-Pape’s more esteemed producers, this bottle delivers a great deal for a wine at this price point.
Bodegas Castaño Hecula Yelca, Spain, $12
The monastrell grape is one of the hidden gems of Spanish wine, and the Hecula is a splendid bargain-priced introduction to its rustic charms. There’s an abundance of juicy, ripe black fruit in the glass, supplemented by nuances of smoky oak, rosemary, thyme and underbrush.