Cabbage Leaf Fish TacosBy Chatelaine
For a change of pace (and an easy extra serving of vegetables!), use cabbage leaves instead of tortillas to cradle crispy corn chip-crusted baked fish. Garnished with tangy slaw, creamy avocado, cilantro and pickled jalapenos, this quick, weeknight-friendly dinner is not only healthy and cruciferous, but also absolutely delicious.—Camilla Wynne
- 1 lb white fish fillets
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups finely crushed tortilla chips
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 8 leaves of red cabbage , from small cabbage
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 carrot , grated
- 2 green onions , thinly sliced
- 1 avocado , sliced
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapenos
- Preheat oven to 400F. Pat dry fish with paper towels and cut into sticks about 5 in. x 1 1⁄2 in.
- In a medium bowl, whisk mayonnaise with lime zest and juice, salt and pepper. Transfer half of mixture to a shallow bowl. Place crushed chips and chili powder in another shallow bowl, stirring to combine. One at a time, dip fish sticks in mayonnaise mixture, then roll in chips to coat. Transfer stick to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining fish sticks.
- Bake fish for 15 to 20 min, until lightly browned and easily flaked with a fork.
- Meanwhile, set aside whole cabbage leaves for taco shells. Add shredded cabbage, carrot and green onions to the bowl with remaining mayonnaise mixture; toss to combine.
- Serve fish in cabbage leaves topped with slaw, avocado, cilantro and pickled jalapenos.
Serve with your favourite taco toppings—queso fresco, salsa or hot sauce.
FILED UNDER: Editor's Picks Recipes