Roasted Chickpea Salad with Hot Harissa DressingBy Chatelaine
Complete with crispy pita chips and sweet pomegranate seeds, this spicy yet refreshing salad will brighten your day.
- 2 large pitas
- 3 tbsp olive oil , divided
- 1 540-mL can no-salt-added chickpeas , rinsed and drained well
- 1 1/2 tsp sumac , divided
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3/4 tsp salt , divided
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp harissa paste
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 pint multicoloured cherry tomatoes , halved
- 4 mini cucumbers , coarsely chopped
- 1 small shallot , thinly sliced
- 4 cups parsley leaves , (about 1 large bunch)
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 cups coarsely chopped mint
- Position rack in centre of oven and preheat to 425F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Slice each pita along the seams into 2 rounds. You will have 4 rounds total. Brush both sides of pitas with 1 tbsp olive oil and arrange on prepared sheet. Bake until golden and crisp, 5 to 8 min. Set pitas aside on a plate.
- Toss chickpeas with remaining 2 tbsp olive oil, 1⁄2 tsp sumac, paprika and 1/4 tsp salt on same sheet. Season with pepper. Roast, stirring chickpeas halfway, until crisp and golden-brown, 25 to 30 min.
- Meanwhile, whisk extra-virgin olive oil with lemon juice, harissa paste, garlic and remaining 1 tsp sumac and 1⁄2 tsp salt in a large bowl. Add tomatoes, cucumbers, shallot, parsley and pomegranate seeds. Toss to coat.
- Break pita into bite-sized pieces. Add pita, mint and warm roasted chickpeas to salad just before serving.
FILED UNDER: Editor's Picks