Kitchen Tip: You can use 2 tbsp pickling spice in place of the spices listed.
Pickled asparagusBy Chatelaine
- 450 g asparagus , ends trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 4 tsp coarse salt
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp dill seeds
- 1 bay leaf , crumbled
- 1/2 tsp celery seeds
- 1/4 tsp hot-red-chili-flakes
- BRING a large saucepan of salted water to boil. Add asparagus and cook 1 min. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Place asparagus spears, tips up, in a tall 1-L glass jar.
- COMBINE vinegar, water, sugar, salt, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, dill seeds, bay leaf, celery seeds and hot-red-chili-flakes in same saucepan over medium-high. Bring to a boil and cook until sugar is dissolved, 2 to 3 min.
- POUR pickling liquid into jar ensuring liquid covers tips of asparagus. Tightly cover and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for 24 hours or up to 2 weeks.
Chatelaine Quickies: Asparagus fries
[bc_video video_id=”5398036425001″ account_id=”10190175001″ player_id=”r1zRQqV3″]
Nutrition (per serving)
- 1 g,
- 5 g,
- 1 g,
- 374 mg.
FILED UNDER: make ahead spring stovetop vegetables