Kitchen Tip: Quark is a low-fat, spreadable cheese with a tangy finish.
Heirloom tomato and roasted garlic tartBy Chatelaine
1 h 5 min
When markets brim with the red, yellow and pink hues of cherry, beefsteak and heirloom tomatoes, here’s how to welcome them back into your kitchen.
- 1 whole garlic head
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil , divided
- 1 sheet PC Butter Puff Pastry , thawed
- 1 cup quark cheese
- 4 tsp finely chopped chives
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 400 g heirloom tomatoes , various sizes and colours, sliced or halved
- sea salt , (optional)
- pepper , (optional)
- fresh basil leaves
- mircogreens or baby arugula
- PREHEAT oven to 400F, then line a baking sheet with parchment.
- CUT off and discard top of garlic. Place bulb on a large piece of foil. Drizzle with 1 tsp of the oil, then wrap with foil. Roast until garliccloves are soft, about 50 min.
- ROLL puff pastry to a 14 × 10-in. rectangle on a lightly floured surface, then place on prepared sheet. Prick pastry all over with a fork. Refrigerate for 15 min.
- BAKE until golden brown, about 12 min. Let cool on a rack for 20 min.
- SQUEEZE garlic from bulb into a bowl. Mash into a paste with a fork, then stir in quark, chives, 1 tbsp oil, salt and pepper. Spread over pastry, leaving a border. Arrange tomatoes on top and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Drizzle with remaining 2 tsp of oil, then garnish with basil and microgreens.
Weekend Baking: Classic butter tarts
[bc_video video_id=”5254418073001″ account_id=”10190175001″ player_id=”r1zRQqV3″]
Nutrition (per serving)
- 6 g,
- 15 g,
- 11 g,
- 2 g,
- 246 mg.