Lentil, Kale And Sausage Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 Italian sausages
- 1 large onion , finely chopped
- 1 leek , white part only, sliced
- 3 carrots , diced
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 156-mL can tomato paste
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 small bunch kale , stems removed, chopped, about 8 cups
- 540-mL can lentils , drained and rinsed
- grated parmesan , optional
- Heat a large, wide saucepan over medium. Add oil, then sausages. Turn sausages occasionally until they lose their pink colour, 4 to 6 min. Remove to a plate.
- Add onion, leek, carrots and garlic to pan. Cook until onion starts to soften, about 3 min.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice sausages. Stir in tomato paste, coriander, salt, sausages and any juices. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until flavour develops, 5 more min.
- Pour in 4 cups water. Bring to a boil. Stir in kale and reduce heat to medium. Cover and gently boil, stirring occasionally, until kale is tender, 5 to 7 min.
- Stir in lentils. If soup is too thick, stir in more water. Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with parmesan. Serve immediately.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 16 g,
- 36 g,
- 13 g,
- 8 g,
- 857 mg.