Thai Sweet Potato Red Curry SoupBy Chatelaine
Sweet potatoes, leeks, carrots and coconut milk are just a few of the base ingredients making up this cozy and colourful Thai soup.
- 3 medium carrots , cut into 1-in. cubes (2 cups)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes , cut into 1-in. cubes (4 cups)
- 3 tbsp coconut or canola oil , divided
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 leek , (white and pale green parts only) thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove , chopped
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 400-mL can light coconut milk , divided
- 900 mL low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp chopped salted peanuts
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 tbsp shaved coconut
- PREHEAT oven to 425F. Toss carrots and sweet potatoes with 1 tbsp oil on a baking sheet. Roast until tender, 20 min.
- HEAT remaining 2 tbsp oil in a large pot over medium. Add onion, leek and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 min. Stir in curry paste and fish sauce. Cook for 1 min.
- ADD roasted vegetables, all but ¼ cup coconut milk and broth. Boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 min. Remove from heat.
- PURÉE soup until smooth, using an immersion blender. Return pot to heat, reduced to low, and stir in lime juice and salt. Ladle into bowls and top with remaining ¼ cup coconut milk, peanuts, cilantro and coconut. Prep Tip: Immerse sliced leek in a large bowl of cold water, scoop out and spin dry before using.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 3 g,
- 25 g,
- 10 g,
- 5 g,
- 540 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin A