Kitchen tip: These pancakes can also be made without the moulds; they will be fluffy but won’t retain as much height since the batter will spread more.
Fluffy Japanese pancakesBy Chatelaine
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar , divided
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup cake-and-pastry flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 egg whites
- PREHEAT a large non-stick frying pan over low, at least 10 min. Oil insides of 4 ring moulds, 3 in. wide and 1 1/2 in. high.
- WHISK egg yolks and 1 tbsp sugar in a large bowl until sugar is dissolved. Whisk in milk, oil and vanilla. Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
- BEAT egg whites in a medium bowl using an electric mixer on medium until foamy, about 30 sec. Gradually beat in remaining 3 tbsp sugar. Increase speed to high and beat until stiff peaks form, 3 to 5 min.
- SIFT flour, baking powder and salt into egg yolk mixture and whisk until smooth. Gently fold one-third of meringue into yolk mixture, using a whisk, just until no streaks remain. Repeat twice more. Don’t over-mix batter.
- LIGHTLY oil pan, then wipe with paper towel so a thin layer remains. Place 2 or 3 prepared moulds in pan and fill about half full of batter, about 1/3 cup batter each. No need to smooth tops. Cover and cook for 7 min. Flip pancakes with moulds. Run a sharp paring knife around the inner edges of moulds, then carefully remove (they will be hot). Cover pan and continue cooking until pancake sides are dry and bottoms are golden, 5 to 7 more min. Remove to a plate. Wash and re-oil ring moulds and repeat with remaining batter.
Make it fancy: Toast
[bc_video video_id=”5768531380001″ account_id=”10190175001″ player_id=”r1zRQqV3″]
Nutrition (per piece)
- 3 g,
- 11 g,
- 4 g,
- 159 mg.
FILED UNDER: comfort food Japanese summer