Spanish chicken with golden riceBy Chatelaine
No time for an afternoon siesta? Take another cue from our friends in Spain, and dine with European style tonight.
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- fresh pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 100 g Spanish chorizo sausage , sliced
- 2 tbsp red-wine vinegar , or sherry vinegar
- 2 tomatoes , cut into wedges
- 8 stuffed colossal green olives , pitted and halved
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- COOK rice, according to package directions, adding turmeric (or 1/8 tsp saffron) and 1/4 tsp salt to the water.
- SPRINKLE chicken thighs with 1/2 tsp salt. Season with fresh pepper. Heat a very large non- stick frying pan over medium-high. Add olive oil, then chicken. Cook until brown, 2 to 3 min per side. Move chicken to side of pan and reduce heat to medium. Add red onion, chorizo and 2 tbsp red-wine or sherry vinegar. Cook until onion starts to soften, 3 min. Stir chicken into onion mixture and simmer 5 more min. If chorizo gives off a lot of oil, drain, leaving 1 tbsp.
- ADD tomatoes, cut into wedges, then green olives and honey. Cook until chicken is done and tomatoes turn saucy, about 5 more min. Sprinkle with chopped parsley. Fluff rice with a fork.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 33 g,
- 36 g,
- 15 g,
- 2 g,
- 903 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin B6
Pair it with: An Exotic Ontario White
A Niagara blend that captures the various nuances of riesling, sauvignon blanc and gewürztraminer, this white has a bouquet of lime, Seville orange and ripe nectarine flavours that works brilliantly with a Spanish-style chicken.
Our pick: Featherstone Four Feathers White, Ontario, $15.