When using raw garlic in dips, halve each clove, then remove and discard the sprout, called the “germ.” This step prevents the dip from becoming more zesty as it stands, especially if you’re making it ahead.
Grilled Baba GhanoujBy Chatelaine
A Mediterranean classic made with eggplant that’s great with crudité and pita.
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil , plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Pinch cayenne , (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley , divided
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1. Preheat barbecue to medium- high. Oil grill. Pierce eggplants all over with a fork, then place on grill. Close lid and cook, turning every 5 min, until very tender and skin is charred, about 30 min. Wrap tightly with foil and let stand 10 min.
2. Halve eggplants. Scrape out eggplant esh with a spoon from skin and place between 2 clean kitchen towels (or paper towels) to absorb excess liquid. It should measure about 2 cups. Discard skin. Transfer to a cutting board and finely chop. Whisk oil with tahini, garlic, salt, lemon zest and juice, cumin and cayenne in a bowl. Stir in eggplant and 1 tbsp parsley.
3. Transfer to a serving bowl, making a well in centre. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with remaining 1 tbsp parsley and sesame seeds.
Nutrition (per 2 tbsp)
- 1 g,
- 5 g,
- 6 g,
- 2 g,
- 77 mg.