Teriyaki beef stir fryBy Chatelaine
The perfect mix and match meal, that can also be made quickly! This teriyaki beef stir fry recipe is also easy to take vegetarian, just swap out the beef for extra-firm tofu, lightly fried in oil to crisp up the edges.
- 2 strip loin or sirloin steaks , about 400 g, very thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp canola oil , divided
- 2 large carrots , peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 398-mL can baby corn , drained and cut into 1-in. pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 2 large cloves garlic , minced
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- Sauce: Whisk soy sauce with sugar, hoisin, ginger, garlic, sesame oil and 1/3 cup water in a small bowl.
- Coat beef with 1/4 cup soy mixture in a medium bowl. Stir cornstarch into remaining soy mixture. Set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add 1 tsp canola oil, then half of the beef. Stir-fry until no pink remains, 2 to 3 min. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining beef. Transfer to same plate.
- Add remaining 2 tsp canola oil to pan, then carrots. Cook, adding 1/4 cup water, if needed, until tender-crisp, about 2 min. Stir in corn and remaining 3/4 cup soy mixture.
- Return beef and any juices to pan. Cook until sauce thickens, about 1 min. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with brown rice.
Switch It Up: Instead of steak, use 350 g extra-firm tofu. Sauté tofu slices in 1 tbsp canola oil, 1 min per side, before adding marinade. Trade carrots and baby corn for 300 g baby bok choy and 1 sliced red pepper.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 25 g,
- 26 g,
- 17 g,
- 4 g,
- 967 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin A