Note: Our slow cooker recipes are developed with a 7 quart slow cooker.
Slow-cooker French onion soupBy Chatelaine
7 hrs 30 min
This is one of our favourite comfort foods, and preparing it in the slow cooker makes it that much easier. For a stovetop version, caramelize the onions and salt over medium until dark golden. Add flour, then vermouth, broth and water, and simmer, covered, for at least 30 min.
- 1.75 kg cooking onions , thinly sliced (about 14 cups)
- 3 tbsp butter , cubed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 1/2 tsp all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp vermouth , or dry white wine
- 900-mL carton beef broth
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 demi-baguette
- 1 tbsp butter , at room temperature
- 2 cups grated gruyere or emmental cheese
- COMBINE onions with butter and salt in slow cooker insert. Season with fresh pepper. Cover and cook on high until onions are soft and dark brown, about 6 hours.
- STIR in flour until well combined. Stir in vermouth. Scrape up brown bits from bottom. Add broth and water. Cover and continue cooking on high for 1 1/2 hours.
- POSITION rack in top third of oven. Preheat broiler. Cut bread into 8 slices, each 1/2 in. thick. Butter both sides and place on a baking sheet. Broil until lightly golden, about 1 min per side.
- ARRANGE 4 oven-safe soup bowls on a baking sheet. Ladle soup into bowls. Top each with 2 toasts. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil until cheese is bubbly, 2 to 4 min.
- Make-ahead tip: Soup (without toasts) keeps well up to 3 days in the fridge or up to 2 months in the freezer. Flavour will improve as it sits.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 26 g,
- 56 g,
- 30 g,
- 7 g,
- 1840 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin B6
FILED UNDER: French french onion soup Instagram slow cooker soups