Classic Turkey BrothBy Chatelaine
1 h 50 min
The turkey from your holiday dinner is a gift that just keeps giving—use the carcass to make this flavourful broth (it’s way easier than you might imagine).
- 1 carcass from a roasted turkey , meat removed and reserved
- 16 cups cold water
- 1 onion , coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots , coarsely chopped
- 2 celery stalks , coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , lightly crushed
- 2 leeks , (dark green parts only), chopped
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp whole peppercorns
- PLACE carcass in a large (about 6-qt) pot and cover with water. Add onion, carrots, celery, garlic, leeks, thyme, bay leaves and peppercorns. Set pot over medium and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 1/2 hrs. Pass broth through a fine-mesh strainer, discarding carcass and vegetables.
Cool to room temperature before refrigerating or freezing for later use.