Cookies and cream caramel applesBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
Granny Smith apples are hands down the best variety for making candy apples - our latest Instagram-worthy obsession.
- 6 wooden sticks
- 6 medium tart apples , such as Granny Smith
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup 35% cream
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
- white chocolate , melted
- chocolate wafers , crushed
- LINE a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Insert chopsticks into apples.
- STIR brown sugar with corn syrup, cream, butter, maple syrup, vanilla and salt in medium saucepan. Heat over medium-high until sugar dissolves, about 3 min. Boil, stirring constantly (and slowly) until candy thermometer registers 240F, about 10 min. Scrape caramel into heatproof 2-cup liquid measure and cool to 200F, about 10 min.
- DIP apples, coating almost to the top. Invert, turning frequently, to allow caramel to set. Place apples on prepared sheet (it will pool a bit). Refrigerate about 2 min. If caramel pools, you can press it back up onto apple while still warm. Roll in melted white chocolate, then in chocolate wafer cookies. Refrigerate until set, about 1 hour. Caramel apples can be made up to 1 week ahead.