Baked 3-cheese tomato strata
If you love bruschetta and garlic bread, you will love this strata. The cheeses and tomatoes are cooked into the bread so there’s no worry of toppings falling off as you indulge.
- 1 loaf oval-shaped soft calabrese or country bread , about 450 g
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 eggs , separated
- 3/4 cup 18% cream
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar
- 1/3 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp goat cheese
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan
- Position 2 oven racks in centre and bottom of oven. Preheat to 400F. Line 2 baking sheets with foil. Using a serrated knife, cut out centre of bread, leaving borders 1 in. thick around edge of loaf and about 1/2 in. thick on bottom. Do not cut through bottom crust. Hollow out bread using your fingers. Place bread shell on one baking sheet. Scatter tomatoes on other baking sheet and toss with oil.
- Whisk egg yolks with cream, Dijon and salt in a large bowl. Season with fresh pepper. Stir all but 1 tbsp chives into egg-yolk mixture along with cheddar and sun-dried tomatoes. Using a hand mixer, beat egg whites in a large bowl on medium until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted, 2 to 3 min. Stir 1/4 of egg whites into cheese mixture until blended. Fold in remaining egg whites.
- Pour or ladle mixture into bread shell. (If top of bread is uneven and filling is in danger of spilling over, prop up bottom of bread with a piece of scrunched-up foil to even it out.) Dot surface with goat cheese, then sprinkle with parmesan. Bake in centre of oven, uncovered, 10 min. Cover loosely with foil and continue baking until top is puffed, 25 to 30 more min. Roast tomatoes in bottom of oven until soft and light brown around edges, about 30 min. Let warm strata stand 5 min, then scatter tomatoes and remaining chives overtop. Cut into thick slices.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 16 g,
- 27 g,
- 17 g,
- 2 g,
- 641 mg.
Elegant, fruity and low in alcohol, Mionetto Il Prosecco (Italy, $18) complements many dishes and is a splendid choice for celebratory brunches. Add a dash of peach nectar to create a decadent mimosa.
For all your Holiday must-haves click here for our Shopping List.