Pumpkin Pie Buns With Maple Cream Cheese GlazeBy Chatelaine
Take all the sticky, gooey goodness of a cinnamon roll—then give it an autumnal twist. These pumpkin pie buns are the perfect kicker to your Thanksgiving meal, and they come with a maple cream cheese glaze for added Canadian cred. They’re ideal for sharing or for devouring on your own.
- 1 8-g pkg active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water , 120F to 125F
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar , divided (24g)
- 1/2 cup warm milk , 120F to 125F
- 3 tbsp butter , melted
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour , (400 g)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar , (64 g)
- 5 tbsp butter , at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 250-g block cream cheese , softened
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp butter , at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans , or
- pepitas , (optional)
- Dough: Combine yeast with warm water and 1 tbsp granulated sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Let stand until frothy, 10 min. Whisk in warm milk, 3 tbsp melted butter and egg yolks until just combined.
- Fit stand mixer with dough hook. Add flour, remaining 1 tbsp granulated sugar and 1 tsp salt. Beat on low until no flour streaks remain, 1 to 2 min. Increase speed to medium. Beat until dough is smooth and pulls cleanly away from the bottom and sides of the bowl, 4 to 6 min. (If the stand mixer moves around while it kneads, you may have to hold the bowl in place.) Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl and loosely cover with a damp kitchen towel. Let rest until dough is doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Filling: Meanwhile, place pumpkin purée in a large non-stick frying pan set over medium-high. Cook, stirring often, until mixture thickens and reduces to 1/2 cup, about 5 to 7 min. (Stir more often in the last few minutes to prevent burning.) Transfer purée to a medium bowl, then set aside to cool completely, about 30 min.
- Butter a 9×13-in. baking pan. Add ⅓ cup brown sugar, 5 tbsp butter and pumpkin pie spice to pumpkin purée. Stir well to combine.
- Roll risen dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12 ×14-in. rectangle. Spread purée mixture evenly over dough to edges. With the long edge facing you, tightly roll up dough in jelly roll fashion. Use a serrated knife to cut crosswise into 12 rounds. Arrange rolls, cut-side down, in prepared pan. Cover with a damp kitchen towel and let rise until doubled, 1 hr.
- Position rack in centre of oven, then preheat to 325F.
- Bake rolls until golden, 30 to 35 min. Transfer to a rack and let stand 5 min.
- Glaze: Meanwhile, beat icing sugar with cream cheese, maple syrup, butter, vanilla and ¼ tsp salt in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium, until smooth. Spread over buns. Sprinkle with pecans or pepitas—or both, as we did on the cover.
Grease your pan with the foil wrapper from your butter stick.