Bistro-style spring salad with asparagusBy Chatelaine
One of our favourite spring veggies mixes it up with peppery greens and turkey sausage for a satisfying, gourmet-style salad.
- 1 bunch asparagus , trimmed and cut into 2-in. pieces
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 turkey sausages , about 450 g
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 shallot , finely chopped
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/8 tsp salt
- fresh pepper
- 1 head radicchio , torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 heads endive , leaves separated
- BOIL asparagus in a pot of water until tender-crisp, about 1 min. Drain and plunge into a large bowl of cold water. Drain and set aside.
- BOIL water in a medium frying pan over medium-high. Prick turkey sausages in several places and add to pan. Reduce heat to medium. Gently boil, covered, turning occasionally, for 8 min. Remove lid and continue cooking until water evaporates and sausages brown, 2 more min. Transfer to a cutting board.
- WHISK canola oil with lemon juice, shallot, honey and salt in a large bowl. Season with fresh pepper. Add asparagus, radicchio and endive to dressing. Toss to coat. Divide among 4 plates. Slice sausages diagonally and arrange on top of each salad.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 24 g,
- 7 g,
- 23 g,
- 3 g,
- 684 mg.
- Excellent source of
Spring salad with sausage
Pair it with: A favourite gamay.
A medium-bodied winner, this ever-impressive Niagara gamay displays an attractive ruby hue, with dark-red-berry fruit aromatics and flavours. The intriguing spicy and peppery elements pair well with sausage.
Our pick: Cave Spring Gamay, Ontario, $15.