Get more filling, inexpensive soup recipes here.
Caldo VerdeBy Chatelaine
This classic Portuguese soup is hearty and satisfying. You can experiment with the type of sausage you use, and you can substitute other greens, such as collards or Swiss chard. —Joshna Maharaj
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 340 g chorizo sausage , (or other garlicky pork, chicken or plant-based sausage), cut in 1/4-in. slices
- 1 large yellow onion , diced
- 1 bunch kale , stems reserved and finely chopped, leaves chopped, divided
- 3 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 L chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 yukon gold potatoes , peeled, quartered and cut in 1/4-in. slices
- 1 large russet potato , peeled and roughly chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over medium. Add chorizo and sauté until browned and some fat has rendered, 5 min. Add onion, chopped kale stems, garlic, salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent, 5 min.
- Stir in broth, potatoes and kale leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until russet potato has completely broken down, Yukon Gold potatoes are tender, greens have softened and soup has thickened, 30 min. Stir in lemon juice.
FILED UNDER: Editor's Picks Recipes