This recipe is excerpted from A Generous Meal by Christine Flynn.
Butter Beans In Salsa VerdeBy Chatelaine
4 to 6
There’s something so meaty and more-ish about butter beans, and they look so good on the end of a toothpick that you may feel obligated to serve them when you put out a feast of small dishes for friends. This recipe also fits neatly into the category of “things that happen to be gluten-free and vegan,” which can be handy when you’re serving a group. —Christine Flynn
- 1 shallot , finely minced
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 green chili , minced
- 1 white anchovy , finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley , finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro , finely chopped
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 14-oz can butter beans , drained and rinsed
- 1/2 lemon , juiced
- Salt and cracked black pepper , to taste
- Pinch of ground red chilies
- In a small bowl, whisk together the shallot, sugar and vinegar until the sugar dissolves. Add the green chili, anchovy, parsley and cilantro.
- Pour in the olive oil and stir to combine.
- Add the beans to the herb mixture. Add the lemon juice and season with salt, pepper and chilies. Stir to combine and serve immediately.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. The herbs will start to discolour after a day or so, but the dish will still be good to eat.
FILED UNDER: Editor's Picks Recipes