Rice “Bacon” BLTBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
Try out this recipe to make bacon from rice paper, for a crispy and smoky plant-based treat.
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp molasses
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke , optional
- 3 rice paper sheets
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp plant-based mayonnaise
- 4 slices sandwich bread , toasted
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 1 tomato , sliced
- Marinade: Combine soy sauce with nutritional yeast, maple syrup, molasses, liquid smoke and 1 tbsp water in a small bowl. Microwave on high until molasses melts, about 30 seconds. Stir to combine.
- Place 1 rice paper sheet on a cutting board. Brush top with marinade. Flip, then brush with more marinade. Lay second sheet overtop. Brush with marinade. Continue stacking to make a 3-sheet stack. (Don’t worry if edges curl up. Use one hand to hold stacks together while brushing with more marinade. Stack will flatten when sheets are moist.) Once flattened, let stand until stack is softened, about 2 min. Push any bubbles from centre outward. Cut into 6 strips, each 1 ½ in. wide.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add oil, and then rice paper strips. Cook, pressing down any air bubbles that form, for 3 min.
- Reduce heat to low. Flip rice paper strips and continue cooking, pressing down on air bubbles and checking bottom every 30 seconds, until light golden, about 2 min. Transfer strips to a plate. Let stand for 5 min. (They will crisp up as they cool.)
- Spread mayo over 2 toast slices. Top with lettuce, tomato and “bacon” strips. Sandwich with remaining toast. Cut each sandwich in half diagonally. Serve immediately.
Stacking 3 layers of rice paper will give this faux bacon a crispy exterior and chewy interior.
FILED UNDER: plant-based vegan