Prep tip: Rinsing the rice removes starch from outside the grains, which will make the rice drier when cooked.
Skillet curried shrimp and riceBy Amy Grief
All you need is one pan to get this flavourful shrimp and rice dish on the dinner table.
- 3/4 cup basmati rice
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion , finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper , finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 450 g pkg frozen, precooked shrimp , thawed
- RINSE and drain rice several times until water runs clear.
- HEAT a large frying pan over medium. Add oil, then onion, bell pepper, garlic and curry powder. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion starts to brown, 4 to 6 min. Stir in rice, tomato paste and salt. Stir for 1 min. Stir in broth and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until rice is al dente, 8 to 10 min.
- STIR in spinach and peas. Lay shrimp on top. Cover and continue to cook until shrimp is heated through and rice is tender, 3 to 4 min.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 30 g,
- 41 g,
- 4 g,
- 4 g,
- 688 mg.
FILED UNDER: Meal Prep Quick Weeknight Dinners seafood