Pro tip: Look for pre-portioned pickerel fillets in the freezer aisle.
Cornmeal pickerel with watermelon-peach saladBy Chatelaine
Sweet and savoury, this fruity salad is a hearty way to end your day.
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt , divided
- 4 cups diced watermelon
- 2 peaches , thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 450 g pickerel fish fillets , patted dry
- 1 egg , beaten
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 3 tbsp canola oil , divided
- lime wedges , (optional)
- STIR lime zest, chili powder and ¼ tsp of the salt in a small bowl.
- TOSS watermelon, peaches, onion, cilantro, lime juice and 1 tsp of the chili mixture in a large bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- SPRINKLE fish with remaining 3/4 tsp salt and ½ tsp chili mixture. Place egg in a shallow bowl and cornmeal on a plate. Dip fish in egg to coat, then press into cornmeal.
- HEAT 1 tbsp of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add half of the fish and cook until golden, 2 min per side. Repeat, adding more oil if needed. Transfer to a plate.
- SERVE fish and salad with lime wedges, and sprinkle with the remaining chili mixture.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 26 g,
- 31 g,
- 14 g,
- 3 g,
- 656 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin B12