Classic Blueberry CheesecakeBy Chatelaine
3 hrs 30 min
10 to 12
* PLUS cooling time
Never made a cheesecake before? Not to worry—our step-by-step instructions will guide you through it.
- 2 cups graham-cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup salted butter , at room temperature
- 3 250-g blocks cream cheese , at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream , at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 eggs , at room temperature
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
For garnish (optional)
- Lemon zest , or chopped candied lemons
- Dried flowers
- Preheat oven to 325F. Insert the base of a 9-in. springform pan lip-side down. Lightly spray with oil, then line with parchment paper. Wrap the outside of the pan with an extra-large square of heavy- duty foil, making sure all sides come up to the top edge. (This keeps water from leaking through during baking.) Make sure there are no cracks in the foil.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs with butter in a medium bowl. Using your fingertips, work mixture until evenly mixed. Press the mixture over the bottom of prepared pan. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Boil a kettle of water. Beat cream cheese with sour cream in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed and scraping down sides occasionally, until mixture is smooth. Beat in 1 1/4 cups sugar, flour and vanilla. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, just until blended. Place prepared pan in the centre of a shallow-sided roasting pan. Pour the cream cheese mixture over prepared crust. Smooth top with a spatula and pop any large bubbles on the surface with a toothpick or skewer. Set the roasting pan in centre of oven. Carefully pour enough boiling water into the roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of the foil-wrapped pan.
- Bake until filling is almost set when springform pan is jiggled, and top is just very lightly golden, 1 hr to 1 hr 15 min. Remove roasting pan to a rack. Run a knife around inside of cake pan as soon as it comes out of the oven to help prevent cracking. Let stand until water cools enough to handle, about 30 min. Remove pan from water. Discard foil. Let cool completely, about 1 hr. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, about 3 hrs.
- Stir blueberries with lemon zest, juice and 1/4 cup sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Gently boil until berries are soft and sauce turns syrupy, 8 to 10 min. Cool and serve with cheesecake. Garnish cheesecake with more blueberries, lemon zest or dried flowers, if desired.
- For creamy, crack-free results, bake in a water bath, always wrap the pan in foil so none of the water leaks in, and as soon as cake is out of the oven, run a knife around the inside of the pan. Perfect every time!
- Avoid over-beating the filling by mixing ingredients until just combined and smooth. Incorporating too much air into cheesecake filling can cause cracking.
Too much air is often the cause of cheesecake cracks. Combine the filling ingredients until smooth, but don’t over-beat.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 10 g,
- 63 g,
- 39 g,
- 2 g,
- 450 mg.
FILED UNDER: baking cheesecake dessert Editor's Picks