Kitchen Tip: Invest in a pastry brush with natural bristles to ensure even coating over speculaas cookies.
2 hrs 10 min
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp white or black pepper
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tbsp sliced almonds
- WHISK both flours, spices, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- BEAT butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium, scraping sides and bottom of bowl, until fluffy, about 3 min. Beat in egg. Reduce speed to medium-low and beat in flour mixture until just combined.
- TRANSFER dough to a surface and knead until smooth, about 15 times. Divide in half and wrap in plastic wrap. Flatten into discs and refrigerate until firm, 1 hr.
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- ROLL dough on a lightly floured surface to a scant ¼-in. thickness. Cut out shapes using 2 ½-in. cookie cutter, rerolling scraps and refrigerating as needed. Place cookies on prepared sheet and chill for 15 min.
- LIGHTLY brush dough with water and gently press almonds to adhere. Bake until edges are browned, 14 to 15 min. Let cool for 5 min, then transfer to a rack to cool. Repeat with remaining dough.
Nutrition (per cookie)
- 1 g,
- 13 g,
- 5 g,
- 1 g,
- 43 mg.
FILED UNDER: bake christmas cookies cookies Holiday Holiday Cookies