Gingerbread Lime CookiesBy Chatelaine
2 hrs 15 min
Lime zest is in the secret ingredient in these zingy gingerbread cookies, inspired by the flavours in a Moscow Mule.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1/3 cup coarse sugar , or raw cane sugar
- 2 to 3 tsp lime zest
1. Whisk our with baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl.
2. Beat butter with brown and granulated sugars in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium, until fluffy, 2 to 3 min. Beat in egg, lime juice and molasses. Reduce speed to low, then gradually beat in our mixture, until just combined. Refrigerate dough in bowl until firm, about 1 hr. 3. Position rack in centre of oven, then preheat to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Stir coarse sugar with lime zest in a small bowl.
4. Scoop out 1-tbsp portions of dough and roll into balls. Dip 1 side into sugar mixture, then arrange, sugar-side up, 2 in. apart, on prepared sheets.
5. Bake until cookies flatten and crack, 10 to 11 min. Let stand for 5 min on sheet, then transfer to a rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.
Cookies will keep well stored in an airtight container up to 5 days.
Nutrition (per cookie)
- 1 g,
- 12 g,
- 2 g,
- 57 mg.