Mushroom, Chicken And Barley SoupBy Chatelaine
1 h 20 min
4 to 6
Mushrooms give earthy depth to classic chicken soup.
- 200 g shitake , mushrooms, about 4 cups
- 1 14-g pkg dried porcini mushrooms
- 6 tbsp olive oil , divided
- 150 g brown beech mushrooms , ends trimmed and separated
- 454 g skinless, boneless chicken thighs , cut into 1-in. pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 6 cups no-salt chicken broth
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- celery leaves , for garnish (optional)
- Remove stems from shiitake mushrooms, then cut mushrooms into bite-sized pieces. Combine 3 cups water and shiitake stems in a small saucepan set over high. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, 20 min. Use a slotted spoon to remove and discard stems. Add dried porcini mushrooms to hot liquid, then set aside to steep.
- Meanwhile, heat a heavy-bottomed pot over high. Add 2 tbsp oil, then shiitake mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until shiitakes are tender and golden, about 3 min. Transfer to a plate. Add 1 tbsp oil to same pot, then beech mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 2 min. Transfer to same plate.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to same pot. Increase heat to high. Sprinkle chicken with salt. Season with pepper. Add chicken to pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 4 min. Transfer chicken to another plate.
- Reduce heat to medium-high. Add remaining 2 tbsp oil to same pot, then onion, celery and carrot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender and lightly golden. Stir in garlic and thyme, 1 min.
- Add broth, barley, chicken, and porcini mushroom and liquid mixture. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium- low. Gently simmer, covered, until barley is tender, about 30 min.
- Stir vinegar and mushrooms into soup. Simmer for 5 more min. Sprinkle with celery leaves just before serving.