Ultimate roast beef and gravyBy Chatelaine
* PLUS Serves: 8
Treat your guests to a quintessential British holiday dinner, starring this glorious roast beef recipe. All you need is a rib roast and a few pantry ingredients.
- 2 kg bone-in prime rib roast
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
- ARRANGE roast, bone-side down, on a rack in a large roasting pan. Stir Dijon with thyme in a small bowl. Rub roast with salt. Season with fresh pepper. Brush mustard mixture over meat. (Don’t coat bottom.) Let stand, uncovered, until meat comes to room temperature, about 2 hours. While roast is standing, preheat oven to 350F.
- ROAST in centre of oven, uncovered, until a meat thermometer inserted in centre of meat reads 120F, 1 hour to 1 hour and 45 min.
- TRANSFER roast beef to a carving board and loosely cover with foil. Let stand 45 min before carving.
- DISCARD fat, leaving 3 tbsp in roasting pan with pan juices. Set pan over 2 burners on medium-high or pour liquid into a large, wide saucepan. When liquid starts to simmer, add flour, stirring constantly. Gradually whisk in broth. Stir constantly until gravy starts to simmer. Reduce heat and continue simmering, stirring often, until thickened, about 5 min. Serve with roast beef.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 40 g,
- 3 g,
- 33 g,
- 852 mg.
FILED UNDER: British Dinner Holiday recipes roast