While meat is standing, make gravy: Spoon out and discard all but 3 tbsp of fat; leave all pan juices. Place roasting pan holding juices and fat over 2 burners or pour liquids into a large wide saucepan. Heat over medium. When gently boiling, sift in 3 tbsp flour, stirring constantly. Gradually whisk in 1 cup red or white wine, then 2 cups beef broth. Stir constantly until gravy comes to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, to thicken, about 5 min. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed. Makes 3-1/2 cups.
Perfect Prime Rib
* PLUS Standing Time: 135 minutes, Roasting Time: 120 minutes
With more Canadian families staying in rather than eating out, the Sunday-roast dinner was bound to make a comeback. Never cooked a roast before? No sweat.
- 3 to 4 kg beef prime rib
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt , preferably coarse
- Place roast, fat-side up, on a rack in a roasting pan. In a bowl, stir Dijon with oil and seasonings. Brush over meat, coating ends lightly. Don’t coat bottom. Let stand, uncovered, until meat comes to room temperature, about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place beef in centre of oven. Roast , uncovered, until a meat thermometer inserted in centre of meat reads 125F for rare, 130F for medium-rare or 140F for medium. This will take 2 to 3 hours, depending on the size of your roast and how you like it cooked.
- Remove to a carving board and loosely cover with a tent of foil. Let rest 15 min before carving. During this time, the internal temperature will continue to rise, by 5 to 10 degrees, and the juices will become more evenly distributed.
- To carve, remove strings. Hold roast with a carving fork. Using a long, sharp knife, slice roast along the rack of bones so you can lift it off in one large piece. Slice bones into individual ribs and serve or refrigerate for another day.
- Place meat, fat-side up, on the board. Hold it steady, then slice vertically across the grain to achieve the best tender texture.