Vegan Banana Chocolate Chunk MuffinsBy Chatelaine
Better than banana bread and ultra portable! Using spotty, very ripe bananas will ensure a softer, moist muffin.
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 3 very ripe large bananas
- 2 cups all-purpose flour , (240 g)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil , at room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar , (144 g)
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 cup coarsely chopped vegan chocolate or vegan chocolate chips
- Position rack in centre of oven and preheat to 375F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Stir flax meal with 2⁄3 cup room-temperature water in a large bowl. Mash bananas in a large measuring cup (it should measure 1 to 1 1/4 cups).
- Stir flour with baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add coconut oil, sugar and vanilla to flax mixture. Using an electric mixer on medium, beat until fluffy, 1 to 2 min. (Mixture may look curdled.) Beat in bananas just until combined. Stir flour mixture into banana mixture until no streaks remain. (Batter will be thick.) Stir in chocolate just until combined. Divide batter among liners.
- Bake until a skewer inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean, 18 to 20 min. Let muffins cool in pans for
10 min, then transfer to a rack and let cool completely. Muffins will keep in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.