Lemon Poppy Seed Streusel MuffinsBy Chatelaine
The crisp, crumbly topping on these lemon muffins gives them a professional, café-grade finish.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour , (30 g)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar , (48 g)
- 3 tbsp cold unsalted butter , cubed
- 1 cup granulated sugar , (192 g)
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour , (280 g)
- 2 to 3 tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp tumeric , (optional)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- Position rack in centre of oven and preheat to 375F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Streusel: Combine 1/4 cup flour with 1/4 cup sugar in a small bowl. Add butter. With your hands, rub butter and flour mixture together until crumbly. Set aside.
- Muffins: Whisk 1 cup sugar with lemon zest in a medium bowl. Whisk in 2 1/3 cups flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, salt, turmeric and baking soda. 4. Whisk eggs with oil, milk and lemon juice in a large bowl. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture just until com- bined. Divide batter among liners, then top with streusel. 5. Bake until a skewer inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean, 16 to 18 min. Transfer muffins to a rack and let cool. Muffins will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
FILED UNDER: Editor's Picks