Veggie and Lentil Shepherd’s PieBy Chatelaine
Add this hearty shepherd's pie to your next plant-based dinner plan, featuring a cozy blend of veggies, fresh thyme and soft mashed potatoes.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 227-g pkg sliced cremini mushrooms , finely chopped
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 1 carrot , finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 540-mL can lentils , drained and rinsed
- 2 cups mushroom broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup large-flake oats
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 750 g yukon gold potatoes , peeled and cut in 1/2-in. pieces
- 1/2 cup plant-based butter
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Filling: Heat a large frying pan over medium-high. Add oil, and then mushrooms, onion, carrot, garlic and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture looks dry, 8 to 10 min.
- Stir in lentils, broth, peas, oats, tomato paste, vinegar, ¼ tsp salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until oats are tender and mixture is thickened but still saucy, 10 to 12 min.
- Potatoes: Meanwhile, combine potatoes with enough water to cover in a medium pot. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, 10 to 12 min. Drain well and return potatoes to pot. Add butter, nutritional yeast, Dijon and ½ tsp salt. Mash until smooth.
- Position rack in top third of oven and preheat broiler. Transfer filling to a 9×9-in. baking pan. Spread potatoes evenly over filling. Broil until top starts to brown, 8 to 10 min.
FILED UNDER: plant-based vegan