One-pot classic mac and cheeseBy Chatelaine
You can boost the protein count (and the yum factor) by topping this dish with sliced grilled sausages or crumbled bacon.
- 2 1/2 cups 1% milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp butter
- 250 g orecchiette pasta
- 3 cups finely grated old cheddar
- 1/2 cup mascarpone
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp sliced green onions
- BOIL milk with water and butter in a non-stick pot over medium. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- ADD pasta. Cook, stirring often, until orecchiette is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, 17 to 20 min. Remove from heat. Stir in cheddar, mascarpone and Dijon until cheeses melt. Season with fresh pepper. Garnish with green onions.
- Camp prep tip: Pack pasta and cheeses in separate resealable bags. Store milk, butter, Dijon and green onion in a cooler until ready to use.
Chatelaine Quickies: Mac and cheese with butternut squash
[bc_video video_id=”5166587739001″ account_id=”10190175001″ player_id=”r1zRQqV3″]
Nutrition (per serving)
- 39 g,
- 56 g,
- 43 g,
- 2 g,
- 662 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin A