Chocolate cream mini cupcakes with avocado icing
24 Mini Cupcakes
These quinoa cupcakes will definitely satisfy your sweet tooth. The cupcakes can be made the day before, but the avocado icing is best made fresh on the day you are going to serve them.
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup white quinoa
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tbsp grapeseed oil , or light-tasting vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tbsp liquid honey
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a 24-cup mini muffin pan with paper liners.
- For the cupcakes, in a medium saucepan, bring the water and quinoa to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit with the cover on for another 15 minutes. The quinoa must be extra-fluffy.
- In a blender, combine the sour cream, honey, egg, egg white, oil and vanilla. Blend until combined. Add ¼ cup (60 mL) of the quinoa and blend until completely smooth. Repeat adding ¼ cup (60 mL) quinoa, puréeing after each addition, until all the quinoa has been added.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt until no lumps of cocoa powder remain. Add the puréed mixture. Stir just until blended. Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake liners.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool in the pan.
- For the icing, peel the avocado and in a small bowl, mash it with a fork until no big lumps remain. Place in a blender with the honey and vanilla. Purée until smooth. Add the cocoa powder and blend until completely incorporated. Transfer the icing to a piping bag (or a resealable plastic bag, then cut off one corner). Pipe the icing onto the cooled cupcakes.
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days (with the avocado icing). Recipe from Quinoa Revolution by Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming.
How to make perfectly shaped cupcakes
[brightcove id=’4639663507001′ width=’640′ height=’360′]
Nutrition (per serving)
- 1 g,
- 7 g,
- 4 g,
- 1 g,
- 60 mg.