Strawberry Gin FizzBy Chatelaine
Here’s a delicious idea: Fill a Mason jar with June’s best bounty (luscious local strawberries), mix in a couple spoonfuls of sugar and some gin, and then (the hardest part) wait a few days. Add a splash to sparkling wine or tonic, and you’ll have the perfect elixir for warm nights on the back deck.
- 227 g (about 1 1/2 cups) strawberries , washed and trimmed
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 1/2 cups gin
- 1 1/2 cups sparkling wine
- strawberries , halved, for garnish (optional)
- mint leaves , for garnish (optional)
1. Coarsely mash strawberries with a fork, then transfer to a 1 L Mason jar. Add sugar and gin. Seal and give a gentle shake to mix.
2. Leave jar at room temperature for 3 days, shaking jar twice a day to dissolve sugar.
3. Strain the mixture and pour into a clean, dry serving bottle. Seal well.
4. Add a splash to chilled sparkling wine with a halved strawberry. Garnish with mint leaves.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4 g,
- 5 mg.