Joy of Cooking’s Gluten-Free Sandwich BreadBy Chatelaine
One 9 x 5-inch loaf
Light tender bread, perfect for sandwiches, made using rice flour, from the 2019 edition of the culinary classic.
- 1 cup (235g) lukewarm (80 to 90 degrees F) milk
- 1/2 cup (120g) lukewarm (80 to 90 degrees F) water
- 2 large eggs , well beaten
- 1 tbsp (10g) sugar , or honey (20g)
- 1 tbsp (15g) butter , melted
- 1 envelope (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
- 1 cup (110g) white rice flour
- 1 cup (125g) tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup (70g) brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup (85g) potato starch or cornstarch , (65g)
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
Slices of this light, tender bread are even better toasted. The “dough” is very wet—more like a thick batter. This recipe is written to use fine white rice flour, available at Asian markets. Stone-ground rice flour is coarser and will not work in this recipe.
1. Whisk to combine in a medium bowl: milk, water, eggs, sugar or honey, butter, yeast. Set aside.
2. Whisk together in a large bowl or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment: white rice flour, tapioca starch, brown rice flour, potato starch, xanthan gum, salt.
3. Add the milk mixture and beat until combined. Cover the bowl and let the dough rise for 1 hour.
4. Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Scrape the dough into the pan, cover with oiled plastic wrap, and let rise again until the batter rises just above the rim of the pan, about 45 minutes.
5. While the dough rises, preheat the oven to 350°F.
6. Bake the bread until the internal temperature reaches 210°F, about 40 minutes. Immediately turn the loaf out of the pan onto a wire rack to cool completely.