Cheddar Cheese CrackersBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
1 h 15 min
Go all out with homemade crackers for a crisp, decadent snack.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne , (optional)
- 1/4 cup cold butter , cut in small cubes
- 1 1/4 cups grated orange or white aged cheddar , (113 g)
- 2 tbsp cold water
- Position rack in centre of oven and preheat to 350F.
- Whirl flour with salt and cayenne in a food processor. While pulsing, gradually add butter and cheese until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add cold water. Pulse just until mixture forms coarse crumbs. Form dough into 2 balls, and then flatten each into a square.
- Cut 4 pieces of parchment to fit a baking sheet. Place 1 piece of dough between 2 parchment sheets. Roll to 1-mm thickness. Repeat with remaining dough and parchment sheets. Refrigerate dough sheets on a flat surface until firm, about 15 min. (If you don’t have room in your fridge, place both dough sheets, lined with parchment, on top of each other on a baking sheet and place in the freezer.)
- Working with 1 pastry sheet at a time, place on counter. Peel off top parchment. Using a pastry cutter or paring knife, cut dough into 1-in. squares, using a ruler for straighter lines, if desired. (It’s okay if there is no space between crackers.) Transfer parchment with crackers to baking sheet.
- Bake, rotating sheet halfway through, until crackers are puffed and golden-brown, 13 to 16 min. Transfer parchment and crackers to a wire rack and let cool completely. Repeat with remaining pastry sheet. Store crackers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Because the crackers are so thin, rotating the sheets halfway through will allow them to bake more evenly if there are hot spots in your oven.