Chicken CacciatoreBy Chatelaine
- 1 kg skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp salt , divided
- fresh pepper , to season
- 2 tbsp olive oil , divided
- 1 small onion , chopped
- 2 red bell peppers , chopped
- 2 227-g pkgs cremini mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 796-mL cans whole plum tomatoes , cut up with kitchen shears
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 450 g rotini pasta
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- SPRINKLE chicken thighs with 1/2 tsp salt. Season with fresh pepper. Heat an extra-large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add 1 tbsp olive oil, then chicken. Cook until golden, 2 to 3 min per side. Transfer to a plate.
- ADD remaining 1 tbsp olive oil, then onion, bell peppers, mushrooms and garlic to pan. Cook until onion and mushrooms are soft, 7 to 10 min. Add cut up tomatoes to pan along with thyme leaves, rosemary and remaining 1/2 tsp salt. Return chicken and any juices to the pan.
- BOIL, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, until chicken is tender and sauce is slightly thickened, about 20 min.
- COOK pasta, following package directions but omitting salt, 8 to 10 min. Use a fork to pull chicken into chunks. Reserve half of chicken mixture for Tomato, chicken and rice soup. Combine remaining chicken mixture with rotini and sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 43 g,
- 98 g,
- 13 g,
- 7 g,
- 660 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin C
FILED UNDER: Pasta Quick Weeknight Dinners stovetop