Delicious date squares are a simple blend of brown sugar, oats, butter and sweet dates—a comforting treat for a cozy winter afternoon. If there's a baked-goods equivalent to a hug, this is it.
2 1/2 cups
1 1/2 cups
1 3/4 cups
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Lightly spray an 8-in. square glass or metal baking pan with oil and line with overhanging parchment.
- COMBINE dates with water in a medium saucepan over high. Boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until thick, 6 to 8 min. Remove from heat.
- STIR in vanilla and let cool.
- COMBINE oats, flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a food processor. Pulse 3 times to combine. Add butter and pulse until oat mixture is crumbly (pea-sized). Transfer to a large bowl and quickly crumble with fingers to evenly distribute the butter. Spread two-thirds of oat mixture over bottom of prepared pan. Press down gently to make a crust. Scrape date mixture over crust and spread evenly. Layer with remaining oat mixture and press down lightly.
- BAKE in centre of oven until top is golden brown, 30 to 35 min. Transfer to a rack and cool completely in pan, about 1 hour. Cut into 16 squares.
Nutrition (per square)
- 2 g,
- 30 g,
- 8 g,
- 2 g,
- 55 mg.
Shopping tip: No need to splurge on Medjool dates for this recipe. We also tested it with packaged pitted dates, and the squares were just as delicious!
Get more of our delicious dessert square recipes, including a classic Nanaimo bar and the decadent Roasted White and Brown Butter Chocolate Blondies.