Gingery Chicken CongeeBy Chatelaine
8 hrs 10 min
This simple but delicious rice porridge is a classic Asian breakfast and a test-kitchen staff favourite. It’s especially good for anyone who prefers savoury over sweet on a chilly morning. It’s great in a thermal container on a ski trip too.
- 4 cups water
- 900-mL container chicken broth
- 3/4 cup jasmine rice , rinsed
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs , trimmed and cut into 1-in. pieces
- 2 tbsp minced ginger , plus more for garnish
- 1 tbsp dark sesame oil
- 2 green onions , thinly sliced
- tamari or soy sauce , optional
- crispy shallots , optional
- COMBINE water with broth, rice, chicken and ginger in slow cooker insert. Cover and cook 8 hours on low.
- SCOOP out and discard any brown foam around edges of congee, then stir in sesame oil and green onions. Season with fresh pepper. Garnish with additional minced ginger, tamari and crispy shallots.
Our slow cooker recipes are developed with a 7 quart slow cooker.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 14 g,
- 20 g,
- 5 g,
- 1 g,
- 638 mg.
- Good source of
FILED UNDER: gluten free slow cooker slow cooker recipes