A hearty Spanish stew chock full of succulent chicken and spicy sausage creates a great winter warm-up.
- 5 to 6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts , or 12 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs, or a mix
- 4 garlic cloves , or 2 1/2 tsp bottled chopped garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper
- olive oil
- 5 hot Italian sausages
- 796-mL can plum tomatoes
- 1 cup pimento-stuffed olives
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp orange zest
- Slice each chicken breast into 3 pieces. If using thighs, leave whole. Mince garlic. Chop onion and pepper. Lightly coat a large saucepan with oil and set over medium heat. When hot, add sausages. Turn occasionally until evenly browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove to a cutting board, then thickly slice.
- Once sausages are removed, add garlic and onion to fat left in pan. Stir often until onion begins to soften, 3 minutes. Add tomatoes. Scrape up and stir in any brown bits from pan bottom. Using a wooden spoon, break up tomatoes as best you can. Stir in pepper, olives, seasonings and orange peel. Add chicken and sausages. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is springy when pressed, 15 to 18 minutes. Great spooned over brown rice or mashed potatoes. Stew will keep well, covered and refrigerated, up to 2 days or freeze up to 2 months.
- Defrost and reheat stew in microwave. Or place frozen stew in a saucepan with a little water. Cook over medium heat, stirring often.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 29.8 g,
- 8.5 g,
- 19.1 g,
- 1.6 g,
- 1341 mg.