Smashed Plantains With Beans and RiceBy Chatelaine
Golden, crispy plantains are the centre piece of this dish. Try it with hot sauce for the perfect kick.
- 1 400-mL can coconut milk , divided
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth , divided
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 11 tsp canola oil , divided
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 tbsp Jerk-Inspired Spice Blend , (see Kitchen tips for recipe)
- 1 540-mL can black beans , undrained
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp hot sauce , such as Tabasco (optional)
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 ripe plantains , cut in 1-in. rounds
- 1/4 tsp salt , divided
- Combine 1 1/4 cups coconut milk and 3/4 cup broth in a medium saucepan set over high. Bring to a boil, and then add rice. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, until all liquid has been absorbed, 18 to 20 min.
- Meanwhile, heat a small saucepan over medium-high. Add 1 tsp oil, and then onion. Cook until softened, about 3 min. Stir in garlic and spice blend, for 30 sec. Add beans with liquid, soy sauce, hot sauce and remaining 1/2 cup broth. Cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has been absorbed but beans are still saucy, about 8 min. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice. Set aside.
- Remove rice from heat and stir in remaining coconut milk and cilantro. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add 2 tsp oil, and then half of the plantains. Cook until golden brown, about 2 min per side. Then press down on each plantain with the bottom of a glass until flattened. Add 3 tsp oil to pan and continue cooking until crisp, about 1 min per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate and sprinkle with ⅛ tsp salt. Repeat with remaining plantains, oil and salt.
- Serve plantains alongside rice and beans. Garnish with more cilantro, if desired.
Get the Jerk-Inspired Spice Blend recipe.
Ripe plantains usually have completely black skins, with deep-yellow insides. They’re sweetest and perfect for frying at this stage.
FILED UNDER: plantains rice spice blend