Beet latkes with smoked salmon and caraway sour creamBy Chatelaine
It’s peak season for endless varieties of fruit and veg, and when the produce is this good, we say let the ingredients shine. Here’s a simple way to make the most of a farmer’s market haul.
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds , toasted
- 2 medium red beets , peeled and grated (about 4 cups packed)
- 1 large carrot , grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 onion , grated
- 2 eggs , beaten
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 140 g smoked salmon
- COMBINE sour cream and caraway seeds in a small bowl. Squeeze out excess liquid from beets, carrot and onion using hands or kitchen towel (beets may stain towel). Stir vegetables with eggs, flour and salt in a large bowl. Season with fresh pepper.
- POUR oil into a large non-stick frying pan until it reaches halfway up the side. Set over medium. Working in batches of 4 latkes, scoop 1/4 cup packed beet mixture per latke into pan. Flatten slightly with a spatula and cook until golden, about 3 min per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Serve with caraway sour cream and smoked salmon.
- Kitchen Tip: To save time, use a food processor to grate vegetables.
Best way to peel beets
[brightcove id=’1168406037001′ width=’640′ height=’360′]
Nutrition (per serving)
- 11 g,
- 22 g,
- 18 g,
- 3 g,
- 466 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin B12