Tip: We tested many brands, and President’s Choice Butter Puff Pastry is our absolute favourite. Its all-butter recipe makes the perfect thin, flaky shell for these tarts. Find it at retailers across Canada.
Perfect Portuguese tartsBy Chatelaine
* PLUS chilling time
Imagine a flaky, buttery shell oozing warm vanilla custard. These traditional bite-sized treats are totally doable and utterly irresistible.
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 cup 35% cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 450-g pkg butter puff pastry sheets , preferably President's Choice, thawed
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- WHISK egg yolks and egg with milk, cream, sugar and cornstarch in a large saucepan and set over medium. Continue whisking until mixture thickens, 7 to 10 min. Whisk in vanilla, then scrape into a medium bowl. Lay a piece of plastic wrap directly on surface to prevent skin from forming. Chill in freezer until very cold, but not frozen, about 1 hour.
- UNROLL puff pastry sheet. Sprinkle cinnamon evenly over the surface. Re-roll sheet into a tight log. Cut log into 12 equal rounds. Lay a pastry round on a lightly floured counter and roll with a rolling pin until it is 4 in. across. Pastry will be very thin. Repeat with remaining rounds. Gently push each round into a muffin cup, pressing along the bottom, then up the sides until it reaches the rim. Keep muffin tin in refrigerator until custard is chilled.
- PREHEAT oven to 500F (not the broiler). Divide cold custard among 12 pastry cups.
- BAKE in centre of oven until tops are brown, but not burnt, 13 to 15 min. If tops have not browned, continue baking and check at 2-min intervals. Cool in pan on a rack for 5 min. Remove from pan and let cool slightly on rack, about 15 min. Serve tarts warm or cool.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4 g,
- 18 g,
- 12 g,
- 1 g,
- 80 mg.
FILED UNDER: bake blissful baking Desserts Instagram