Maple Ice Cream Waffle SandwichBy Chatelaine
7 hrs 50 min
Turn your favourite sweet breakfast treat into a syrupy summer dessert with this ice cream sandwich.
- 2 cups 35% cream
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 16 frozen mini waffles , lightly toasted
- maple syrup , for drizzling (optional)
- Ice cream: Whisk cream, maple syrup and egg yolks in a medium saucepan until combined. Set over medium. Simmer, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, 8 to 10 min. (Make sure to scrape bottom, corners and side of saucepan often to keep mixture from curdling.)
- Stir in vanilla and salt. Transfer to a bowl. Chill in freezer until cream mixture is cold, about 1 hr.
- Scrape cold mixture into a pre-frozen ice cream maker bowl and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions, 30 to 45 min. Transfer to an airtight container. Seal and freeze until firm, about 6 hrs.
- To serve, scoop ice cream onto 1 waffle, and then flatten slightly. Drizzle with maple syrup, if desired. Sandwich with another waffle. Serve immediately.
You can also use standard-sized round waffles and cut each into quarters.