Coffee cookie with dulce de leche
* PLUS chilling time
Make this coffee cookie with dulce de leche recipe as the perfect after-dinner holiday treat. It only takes 25 minutes to put together.
- 5 to 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp instant coffee granules
- 4 tsp vanilla
- storebought dulce de leche , to spread
- In a large bowl, using a fork, stir 5 cups (1.25 L) flour 2 tbsp instant-coffee granules, baking powder and salt. In another large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter with sugar on medium-high for 2 min. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, scraping down side of bowl as necessary. Then beat in vanilla. Using a wooden spoon, gradually stir in flour mixture just until evenly blended. (Over-mixing toughens cookies.)
- If dough is too sticky to form into a ball, stir in remaining ½ cup (125 mL) flour, 2 tbsp (30 mL) at a time, until dough is no longer sticky and easy to roll. (You may not need all the flour.) Divide dough into 4 portions. Shape each into a ball, then flatten slightly into a disc . Wrap separately with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour or up to 1 week. Or overwrap with heavy foil and freeze up to 1 month.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375F (190C). Lightly spray or oil 2 baking sheets or line with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough no thicker than ¼ in. (0.5 cm). Cut out shapes with a cookie cutter. Cut a small square in centre of half the rounds. Place on baking sheets, about 2 in. (5 cm) apart. Bake in centre of preheated oven until cookies are pale golden, 8 to 10 min, depending on thickness. Place cookie sheet on a rack for 5 min. Then remove cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough. On day of serving, spread store-bought dulce de leche over plain cookies. Top with cookies with the cut-out. Store dulce de leche cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 1 week or freeze up to 1 month.
How to caramelize sugar
[bc_video video_id=”1437235090001″ account_id=”10190175001″ player_id=”r1zRQqV3″]
FILED UNDER: bake cookies Desserts Holiday Cookies