Classic shortbread cookiesBy Chatelaine
We have the perfect Christmas cookie recipe for this simple holiday pleasure: classic shortbread cookies that are sure to please, whether iced artistically or left plain.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour , (405 g)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter , at room temperature (350 g)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar , (150 g)
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Position racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- STIR flour with salt in a medium bowl.
- BEAT butter with sugar in a large bowl, using a wooden spoon, until smooth, 1 min. Gradually stir in half of flour mixture, until just combined. Add remaining flour mixture, kneading with your hands, until dough forms a ball.
- ROLL out on a floured counter until 1/4 in. thick. Cut out cookies with various shapes of cookie cutters. Arrange on prepared sheets, 2 in. apart. Cookies will spread as they bake.
- BAKE in top and bottom thirds of oven, switching sheets halfway through, until edges are just golden, 12 to 15 min. Leave on sheet for 5 min, then transfer cookies to a rack to cool completely. Cookies will keep well in an airtight container up to 1 week, or freeze these Christmas cookies up to 1 month.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 2 g,
- 13 g,
- 8 g,
- 35 mg.
FILED UNDER: bake Christmas cookies Desserts Holiday Cookies