Seared Halloumi and Fig TabboulehBy Chatelaine
Crispy halloumi cheese is the star of this dish—need we say more?
- 1 250-g pkg Halloumi cheese
- 1/2 shallot , very thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coarse bulgur
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp olive oil , divided
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp sumac
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 cups packed parsley leaves , (about 1 large bunch)
- 2 cups coarsely chopped mint
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes , halved
- 6 black figs , quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- Cut halloumi in half length-wise, then cut into 1⁄2-in-thick slices. Soak halloumi in a medium bowl filled with cold water. Combine shallot with lemon juice in a large bowl. Set both aside for 20 min.
- Meanwhile, cook bulgur following package directions. Drain and rinse bulgur.
- Whisk 2 tbsp oil with honey, lemon zest, sumac and paprika into shallot mixture. Add parsley, mint, tomatoes and bulgur. Toss to coat.
- Pat halloumi slices very dry with towels. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add remaining 2 tsp oil and then halloumi. Cook until golden, 2 to 3 min per side.
- Divide tabbouleh among plates. Top with halloumi and figs. Sprinkle with pistachios and pomegranate seeds.