Creamy French-toast sandwiches
Prep 20 min
Total 40 min
275-g container mascarpone
170-g container raspberries
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 loaf French bread, about 6 in. wide
1 cup milk
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp butter, melted
1/4 cup sliced almonds (optional)
1. Stir mascarpone with raspberries and 1/4 cup brown sugar in a medium bowl, mashing berries. Cut 12 1/2-in.-thick slices of bread. Spread mascarpone mixture over 6 slices. Top with remaining bread slices. Fit snugly into a 9 x 13-in. baking dish. Whisk eggs with milk, 2 tbsp brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Pour over sandwiches. Turn each sandwich to soak up egg mixture.
2. Preheat oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Transfer sandwiches to baking sheet. Bake until bottoms are golden, about 10 min. Brush tops with melted butter. Flip sandwiches, then sprinkle with nuts. Bake until deep golden on both sides, about 8 more min. Let stand 5 min. Serves 6.
Per serving: 493 calories, 12 g protein, 47 g carbs, 29 g fat, 4 g fibre, 578 mg sodium.
Photo by James Tse
Raspberry freezer jam
5 160-g containers raspberries
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
45-g pouch freezer-jam pectin, such as Bernardin brand
zest of 1/2 lemon
1. Crush berries with a potato masher. (You should have about 4 cups.) Combine sugar and pectin in a large bowl. Stir in zest. Stir berries into sugar mixture until very well combined. Let stand 3 min, then stir again very well. Ladle into 5 clean 1-cup jars.
2. Leave 1/2-in. headspace from rim. Wipe rims clean, then apply lids tightly. Let stand 30 min. Jam will be very softly set. Use right away, or transfer jars to the freezer for storage. Jam keeps well, frozen, for up to 1 year. To use, simply thaw a jar. Once opened, store in the fridge. Makes 5 1-cup jars
Per 1 tbsp: 21 calories, 1 g protein, 5 g carbs, 1 g fibre, 6 mg sodium.
Spiced: Stir 1/4 tsp each cinnamon and pepper, and 1 tsp vanilla in with raspberries.
Spiked: Stir 2 tbsp Grand Marnier or amaretto in with raspberries.
Mixed Berry: Substitute strawberries for half of the raspberries.
Photo by John Cullen
Red-wine raspberries and crumble with ice cream
Prep 5 min
Total 20 min
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
1/2 cup red wine
1/3 cup honey
2 cups vanilla ice cream
1/2 cup crushed amaretti cookies
fresh mint leaves (optional)
1. Combine raspberries, wine and honey in a medium saucepan over medium-high. Bring to a boil, then simmer vigorously on medium-high until reduced by half, about 15 min. Let cool to room temperature.
2. Remove ice cream from freezer about 10 min before serving to soften.
3. Place 2 scoops ice cream in each dish. Top with raspberry sauce and garnish with amaretti and mint. Serves 6.
Serving tip: Place dishes in the freezer for about 10 min before serving to keep ice cream from melting.
Per serving: 199 calories, 2 g protein, 35 g carbs, 6 g fat, 3 g fibre, 56 mg sodium.
Photo by Benoit Levac