Lemon pudding cake
Prep 15 min
Total 55 min
Photo Credit: Photo, Erik Putz.
Fluffy cake sits atop a surprise layer of citrus-y pudding in this comforting winter dessert.
4 eggs separated
2 tbsp lemon zest
1/2 cup lemon juice
3 tbsp unsalted butter melted
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups whole milk
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Spray an 8-in. square baking dish with oil. Boil a kettle of water.
- WHISK egg yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice and butter in a large bowl until combined. Whisk sugar, flour and salt in a medium bowl, then stir into egg mixture, alternating with milk in 2 additions, until just combined.
- BEAT egg whites until firm peaks form. Stir a third of the whites into egg mixture, then fold in remaining whites in 2 additions until no streaks remain.
- PLACE baking dish in a roasting pan and fill pan halfway with hot water. Bake until dark golden and puffed pudding pulls away from edges, 30 to 35 min.
- REMOVE from water bath and let cool for 10 min before serving.